Saturday, March 27, 2010

Unwrapping Wellington

I’ve been in this windy city for just over a month now, and I love it! Being a small town girl all my life, Wellington is like heaven for me, minus the hills and wind, and awful weather off course.
For those of you who don’t know, Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand. It is situated in the south of the North Island, and is home to the New Zealand government. 

My favourite place to get away from the heavy load of uni work

The decision to move out of home, and continue my studies at Victoria instead of Otago wasn’t an easy one to make. I had to keep in mind that ultimately, my parents had the last say.  I put my faith in God, and chose to go ahead with my plan, and to leave telling mum and dad till the end. I wanted to make sure that I had all the requirements to transfer my degree to Vic, but most importantly, I wanted to know in my heart that I was making the right choice. Alhamdulillah, they didn’t object to my decision, though mum did let me know in more than one occasion that she would rather have me at home, and by her side than living in another island.

Being here is absolute bliss. I love everything about this city. I love how every time I go to town I discover a new street, I love how every turn I make I discover a cute little shop hidden away. I love the fact that I live right in the business center.  I love the beaches, the museum, the coffee shops in every street and I’ve counted about fifteen on the street I live on only, there are heaps more in town and in the suburbs. I could go on about what I love in this city, but I don’t want to scare you away.

 My only wish is that my family and friends could be here, to experience the things I’m experiencing, and to see the city I’ve come to love so much.

And now to my favourite part, pictures. Since I live so close to town, the parliament buildings, the Queens Wharf and within walking distance to Oriental Bay and Parade, i sometimes go on walks after dinner. It’s very peaceful just before sundown, and I find it to be the best time to go out and absorb the beauty of this city.

The Te Papa (National museum) from the TSB Arena:

Believe me when I say, in Wellington, when it rains, it pours! This is the view of the city from the Kelburn Campus on a rainy day:

Worst part is, due to the gusty winds, you get drenched no matter what. And so for a person who does not like getting wet, I live in the worst place. But I love it! Not the rain, the city.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails