Friday, April 2, 2010

Crummy beginning, awesome ending!

Living in Dunedin, i had the luxury of living close to the airport. The trip from our house only took about 20 minutes, and we usually got there on time, never missed a flight. However, now that i live in a much larger city, with no idea how to get to some places by any other means than by bus, and not knowing where most suburbs are to begin with, it's very problematic for me.

Readers, i feel like i should make one thing clear before i proceed, I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON!
Waking up while it's still considered morning is something i am still getting used to. I think the only times i woke up early were for international flights, and most of that time was spent cursing and filling up on caffeine. Yes, i could very well be your worst enemy on a morning flight. I will not engage in small talk, will not smile or appear happy at all. Ever!

Going back to the point of my post, i almost missed my flight this morning!! I had originally set my alarm for 5 a.m. to give myself enough time to get ready before my airport shuttle was due to arrive. Thankfully i had cleaned mt apartment the night before, and only had some laundry to put away, and my bed to make. Instead i got woken up by a phone call:

Me: hello
Lady: Hi, is this Amina A?
Me: huh....yes?
Lady: are you waiting for a shuttle?
Me: Shit!!! Yes!! OMG!! What time is it?
Lady: I'm sorry but you've missed it
Me: No please, i can't miss my flight. I can be down in 5 minutes, can he wait?
Lady: No. He's scheduled to pick someone up in 10 minutes from Brooklyn.
Me: Can you arrange something for me? Please? I really can't miss my flight!!! *PANIC*
Lady: I'll see what i can do for you. I'll call you back.

Readers, i was a frenzied mess! As soon as i ended the call i ran into my bathroom, brushed my teeth, threw some clothes on and tried to finish packing zip up my bag. Ironically, the night before i looked at my suitcase, and commended myself on my excellent packing skills, and this morning, it looked like a 5 year old's treasure box/dressing box.  I just chucked whatever i thought was 'important' (as you do).

Sleep deprived, and hungry, sick and extremely panicked, i got another call from the lady from the shuttle call-center:

Me: Yes.
Lady: Amina, i'm sorry i can't organise anything for you. The next shuttle can only pick you up at 6.30 and that's when you're due to check in.

Thankfully, at the end i managed to get the number for a cab company, which i called immediately and ordered a cab to take me to the airport.  Without looking at the mirror, and not thinking of the mess and clothes i was leaving behind, i bolted out the front door. Thanks to the cab-driver's amazing driving skills, i made it to the airport just before check-in time. I thanked him profusely, and ran in not miss the flight i paid so much and stressed so much over. Check-in completed, and my body in desperate need of some caffeine, i headed to the nearest bathroom to fix up my appearance, and once i was happy with my looks, i went back up to the cafe closest to my terminal, ordered a Chai Latte ( i know some people don't think of it as real caffeine), and later strutted my stuff to the terminal just in time to board the plane.

What a way to start off my 2 week Easter Break aye! Well, i'm just glad i made it to my flight, and finally made it home. Now, i have to carefully plan my first week, it's the only time i'll really get to have a proper break. The second week, i have to get back to my books, write two reports, and prepare for two mid-terms. Wish me luck!

P.S. I can't help but feel like i've forgotten something.  

1 comment:

Shahirah Elaiza said...

Good to have you back, Amina jaan! ;)

Btw, as I told you earlier... yeah I can totally relate to what happened to you!


Related Posts with Thumbnails