Every Ramadan, mum makes all our favourite sweets, Zainab's Fingers; a Omani Sweet, Ligaimat; Khaleeji Sweet and a few more. This year, being away from home, i missed the international selection of foods mum makes for iftar, and i missed her sweets even mre. So i decided to take things into my own hand, and make something myself. I present to you, from India:
Gulab Jamun- Makes 18 portionsIngredients:
1 Cup Milk Powder
½ Cup Flour
½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Tablespoon Melted butter
Milk [enough to make dough]
2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Water
1. Place milk powder, flour, bs and melted butter in a large bowl.
2. Slowly add milk to make firm dough.
3. Shape into 18 even sized balls.
4. Heat oil, watch for small bubbles rising from the bottom of your fry pan. Add balls 3-4 at a time.
5. Roll balls in oil until golden in colour. Remove from oil and place in syrup. Leave for a few minutes then transfer into serving dish. Drizzle syrup over them. Serve warm or cold. (Are also good with ice cream!)
Let me know how they turn out for you.