Monday, September 6, 2010

A Ramadan Treat

Every Ramadan, mum makes all our favourite sweets, Zainab's Fingers; a Omani Sweet, Ligaimat;  Khaleeji Sweet and a few more. This year, being away from home, i missed the international selection of foods mum makes for iftar, and i missed her sweets even mre. So i decided to take things into my own hand, and make something myself. I present to you, from India:
Gulab Jamun- Makes 18 portions
Ingredients:

1 Cup Milk Powder

½ Cup Flour

½ Teaspoon Baking Soda

2 Tablespoon Melted butter

Milk [enough to make dough]

 For Syrup:

2 Cups Sugar

1 Cup Water

 Method:

1. Place milk powder, flour, bs and melted butter in a large bowl.

2. Slowly add milk to make firm dough.

3. Shape into 18 even sized balls.

4. Heat oil, watch for small bubbles rising from the bottom of your fry pan. Add balls 3-4 at a time.

5. Roll balls in oil until golden in colour. Remove from oil and place in syrup. Leave for a few minutes then transfer into serving dish. Drizzle syrup over them. Serve warm or cold. (Are also good with ice cream!)



Let me know how they turn out for you.

Xoxo


8 comments:

Shahirah Elaiza said...

Omg *drools*

-Amina said...

Not that i'm bragging or anything, but they were yummeh!

Unknown said...

EID MUBARAK!!

-Amina said...

Eid Mubarak Xirsi! =)

Umm Hamzah said...

Ohhh yum! I'm currently learning how to cook and well... It really isn't going so well lol. I thought being a woman it would come naturally... Obviously not!

I am actually going to attempt this - I've just made my blog and when I do get round to making this I will take a pic of the outcome. Hopefully it goes well! x

-Amina said...

Don't worry Um Hamzah, cooking isn't supposed to come naturally. It takes time, and lots of it too to produce edible dishes. I'm still learning too.

I'll keep an eye out for the post :)

MissM said...

I'm nigerian and we make something like this except it's called Puff Puff

-Amina said...

I've actually tried the Nigerian version of this! And I think the Ghanian's also have something similar. I have quite a few African friends and I was lucky enough to try some of their national dished/sweets :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails